Social Media

cat woman

Yup, we've arrived at that point. The point where the blogs become about cats. Bear with me, friends.

A lot of single girls my age, including myself, like to joke about becoming old, weird cat ladies because Mr. Right never comes along. I can't deny that at a point in college, this was probably me:



In any case, I always thought if I did end up like these theoretical cat women, I'd be more of a cat-dog combo weird lady. I never got people who had to choose if they identified as a "cat" or "dog" person because I love both (and have clearly dedicated too much time to this thread of a thought). Cats are weird and therefore hilarious, independent, slightly evil. Dogs do really dumb things, are affectionate to the point of making you feel like the coolest person in the world, like to roll in smelly things. Both, in a word, adorable. I have both, and I love both endlessly.

Sweet Winnie and the love of my life, Buster. Just try and not fall in love with these dummies.


If you could put in doggie terms that they were featured on a blog somewhere in the Internet universe, they would probably die from happiness. So dogs are.

Or perhaps this would be the reaction.

Nitty. Really small, really mean - if you are a bird/mouse/insect/general living organism.


But I think the universe is out to make me a dreaded cat lady, because every time I pass a certain house on my street, the two resident cats awaken, stretch, and do a super cute maneuver through the fence to come say hello. It's really cute, because I heard/read/made up some fact somewhere that as long as cats can fit their head through a space, the rest of their body will go too - which sounds obvious, but it has something to do with their weird skeleton that makes their head fit anywhere. My point being they pop their heads through the gates like it's the most natural thing in the world, to squeeze your skull through a very narrow fence. Insert trite childbirth joke here.


I'm assuming the cats are the only tenants because I've never seen their owners. They probably do things like read the paper, work a 9-5, drink an occasional glass of red wine, all while being sneaky and pretending to be human. The usual.

I must have been contemplating my plight as a single girl, because as soon as I walked by the first time these cats materialized, rolling around on their backs and purring, pawing for attention and swishing their tails. I mean there were practically little hearts dotting the air around them. Perhaps I've discovered Cat Woman's real superpower?

HOW CUTE ARE WE. And yes, I seem to have no qualms about stopping my life and playing with a stranger's cats outside their front yard. And taking pictures. And contemplating stealing them for my own.

Anyway. In case you've gotten this far, and are curious, there was no real point to this post. I just wanted to share pictures of cute animals. And perhaps convince you that I am becoming slightly deranged.

But, here's a few small things that I have been up to lately, in this sort-of calm before the storm that is graduate school. Which, incidentally, begins tomorrow! I cannot wait, and have already been gushing (yes, gushing) over the syllabus and assignments my professor sent me for one of my classes. Well, I was excited until I was horrified. But, I am dedicating a post to graduate school for later in the week!

So, what I've been up to: saw The Hunger Games midnight premiere with my roommate, loved every minute of it. Finally bought curtains to block out the really bright streetlight outside. Got a much needed hair cut. Met a potential friend, he gave me his # to get together on the weekend because I told him how I was new to the city and didn't know anyone. Asked to hang out, he blew me off. Rejection, I blew it off. Read a bit, wrote a lot. Spent a lot of footsteps walking new places. Running on now familiar streets. Felt homesick and lonely, cured it with Skype and lots of phone time, realized it's just a temporary feeling. Impatience. Lost time in bookstores, libraries.



Harold T. Washington Library, in the Loop. Really cool place. I feel very sad and conflicted about all the homeless people around, and who frequent the inside because it's a  public place. The anger, the hollow feeling is not directed toward them.

I bought really pretty purple tulips at the grocery store. Fresh flowers=happiness.



More spring loveliness from the area.

Oh, and I bought a really cute dress from Urban Outfitters. I meant to wear it for church this morning, but in typical me-fashion I overslept. Ugh.

And there you have it, a quick update, but mostly thoughts on cats. :D Until next time!

1 comment

  1. Hi Jenny! Thought I would stop by and say hello (found your blog on 20SB). I'm also a former Texan/current Chicagoan. Welcome to the Windy City! :)

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images

Like us on Facebook

Instagram

Theme by STS